Sunday, January 24, 2010

Curitiba - First Impressions














I have been in Curitiba for three weeks and am finally posting some pics. Curitiba is a city of approximately 2 million people and is characterized by strong European influences. Most Curitibans even assume that I am Brazilian, until they hear my accent (which they assume is from a Spanish-speaking country). I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I speak Portuguese with a Spanish accent.

During the week, we spend six hours each day in Portuguese language classes. This will continue through the end of March, and in April, we will take a short course on doing business in Brazil. During the weekends, we've been exploring the city and getting acquainted with the night life.






A few observations about the city and culture...

Who'll stop the rain?
Unbeknownst to us, we arrived at the peak of the rainy season in Curitiba...and these aren't the same summer showers we're accustomed to in SC. While the sun seems to make an appearance while we're in class, the skies inevitably open as soon as we leave...for at least a few hours. My umbrella is my new best friend; I never leave home without it. I'm also in the market for a solid pair of rain boots, but, surprisingly, they're not easy to find.

Metal Mouths
We've noticed that a large percentage of 20-35 year olds are sporting braces. The middle class has grown so much in the past decade, that parents who couldn't afford braces when their kids were younger, can now afford them. As a result, braces are a seen as a status symbol for those in the 20-35 age bracket.

Check Please
Brazilians know how to run a bar. The process for ordering and paying for drinks is extremely efficient, compared to the chaos that takes place in the U.S. When you enter the bar, you receive a ticket at the door and provide your contact information. Each time you order a drink, the waiter or bartender marks your card. At the end of the night, you pay a cashier and use your receipt to exit the bar. It's a really smooth system and gives you much more flexibility to move around to different tables and not worry about multiple tabs or doling out cash all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment